Ten Great Reasons To Play A Public Piano Recital (That Are Not About Me!)
I received my first invitation in absolute ages to play a concert. I haven’t been able to accept for a good few years, mostly due to bad health and operations. But, fighting fit again, it’s time to get back out there and do what I love the most: sharing and performing music.
But, honestly, who cares if I play concert or not?: I haven't played properly in over 3 years; I haven't any recordings for stream or purchase; and, since moving from London, I certainly don't have a dedicated fan base of any kind whatsoever. So, why should it matter if I play or not?
Well, it turns out that it does matter, and here are 10 great reasons to play a public concert (that are NOT about me):
1. Keeping a rich tradition alive.
2. Inspiring the young to hopefully follow suit someday, with the message, “It's easy, it's possible, it's a joy!”
3. It’s an opportunity to expose audiences to new repertoire and new ways to present concerts.
4. It provides live entertainment suitable for the whole family (well, above a certain age that is; composers such as Schoenberg, Soraji or Messiaen require concentration and remarkable stamina!)
5. It brings some royalties coming in (and crumbs on the table) for living composers when we publicly perform their music (thank you, PRS!)
6. It keeps all of those hungry music publishers in business too.
7. It enables the heating to be kept on in some of England's most beautiful and historically-rich churches and buildings.
8. It spreads a feeling of goodwill: so long as you're not playing a programme that is too intense, discordant, challenging or alienating, music will be feelgood for most people. It reduces stress, helps keep delinquent, gambling nanas off the streets and, in the words of Madonna, "...makes the people come together."
9. It holds our great army of acoustic pianos across the country alive and active: polished, regulated, tuned and ready for duty.
10. And finally, a piano concert is an excellent excuse for everyone to take an hour or so out of the hustle and bustle, stress and tussle of our modern day lives; to come together and experience something beautiful that transcends language or culture.
So, what do you think? Hopelessly romantic twoddle or a few solid reasons? All opinions welcomed.


Comments
Post a Comment